Saturday, July 31, 2010

Teacher's Activity-A-Day 5-Minute Fundamentals

I am often looking for an activity that I can use to reinforce and practice a particular concept for my homeschooler. I use the internet to look up activities. The internet can be time consuming (I get off track easily, which complicates my search and wastes time) and because I don't have access to a laptop during the school day, I am not able to search when I am in a waiting room while my daughter is in an autism therapy.

Jossey-Bass Teacher has given me a solution to my problems in the form of a series of books for teachers. Books that offer activities and ideas are super waiting room companions.

I received two new books in the series to review for you.

Priced at $19.95 each, The Algebra Teacher's Activity-A-Day by Frances McBroom Thompson and The Grammar Teacher's Activity-A-Day by Jack Umstatter offer teachers 180 lessons to offer students practice in those subject areas. Click on the photos of the book to take you to pages where you may look inside each book.

The algebra book targets grades 6-12; the grammar book, grades 5-12, and, my non-expert opinion says these grade ranges are right on target. My homeschooler is not ready for the algebra book (my son may be - he will begin pre-algebra in September).

The activities are short and specific, targeting one concept or skill. I like that. I don't have to create a bunch of sentences to revise or make up an algebra problem - Frances McBroom Thompson did that for me in the algebra book and Jack Umstatter did that for me in the grammar book (and they provide an answer code in the backs of the books). I will be able to use some of the grammar activities right away with my homeschooler (who is in the age range for that grade, but is working a few grade levels behind), but not all of them - this particular book will last me several years.

And I will be looking to purchase other books in this series that target activities for students in lower grades. This series will be very useful as we continue to homeschool a child on the autism spectrum.

Jossey-Bass Teacher sent me complimentary copies of The Algebra Teacher's Activity-A-Day by Frances McBroom Thompson and The Grammar Teacher's Activity-A-Day by Jack Umstatter to review. I receive no other compensation and am not obligated to provide a positive review.

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter