Monday, May 10, 2010

Berry Well from Beeyoutiful, a TOS Crew Review

Nine years ago, when I was introduced to the biomedical issues that are common in autism, I began looking into natural ways to boost our immune systems. There are a lot of products on the market. Some are in pill form and are difficult to dose for children. Some are foul tasting liquids.

Berry Well arrived after the horrible cold and flu season at my house this year. I would have liked to have had it earlier to try during our rough spots. We were introduced to H1N1 flu a few months ago up close and personal (ugh). One of the speakers at a homeschool convention mentioned some herbs that have been proven to work against H1N1 and Berry Well contains some of those herbs. (I've got some more research to do. I have to check out for myself what that speaker said.)

I'm not against traditional medicine, but I'd rather use something natural as a first step and avoid a prescription if I can. Organic is even better - and Berry Well is an organic elderberry syrup. The 16-serving bottle is priced at $18.

Berry Well is a brightly colored syrup, in the deep red/purple family. How do I describe the taste to you? Hmmm. It's very "berry" tasting. With honey. A little sweet, a little tart. Some syrups are foul tasting to me, and can trigger or near-trigger my gag reflex. Berry Well does NOT do that to me. I think it's pleasant tasting, although it is strong, like medicine.

I tried it first. I drank it straight out of a medicine spoon. I thought my children might like it better mixed with something, so I added it to the juice of my children. It adds an ice pop flavor. My homeschooler drank it in her diluted juice the first time in a dark cup, and she drank every bit and made no comment about a change in flavor. When I used a clear cup and she could see the color change in her diluted juice, she refused to drink it. If I want her to take it, I'll have to hide it in a dark cup.

Beeyoutiful was very helpful in assisting me as I checked ingredients against the list of food sensivities we have; the ingredients are GFCF and more. There is a small amount of alcohol as an ingredient. Berry Well contains organic elderberry syrup with propolis, raw honey, and echinacea. The full list of ingredients is available on the product page.

I do like a pleasant tasting liquid that I can measure in doses for children. My children are old enough and weigh enough to take the liquid. If they were younger, I'd do some research on dosage, and I would not use a product with raw honey with a child under a year old. I am not a doctor and I do not play one on this blog. This is not medical advice.

FYI: The bottle does not have a childproof cap.

For the reviews of my Crewmates about this product and others from Beeyoutiful, please go HERE.

As part of The Old Schoolhouse Crew of reviewers, I was given a complimentary Berry Well from BEEYOUTIFUL. I am not compensated for this review and am not obligated to provide a positive review.


No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter