Wednesday, May 12, 2010

"Andrea Carter and the Trouble With Treasure", from kregel publications, a TOS Crew Review

When I was a girl, I loved to read. My aunt would take my cousins and me to the library regularly. Fiction was my favorite, where I could lose myself in a story, go to the place I was reading about in my mind.


Autism keeps me busy these days, and most of my books are non-fiction and are autism related. I forget how much I need an escape.


"Andrea Carter and the Trouble with Treasure," by Susan K. Marlow, ($7.99 from kregel publications) is a book written for tweens, a little young for me, but entertaining, still, and a nice escape for me from autism for a little while. I could feel the heat of summer on my skin, imagine riding on horseback, see the water. Author Marlowe paints beautiful pictures with her words. Now that I'm finished with the book, I'm passing it along to my tween and my pre-teen who are reading at that level. I think they'll both enjoy it.



The story is set in the San Joaquin Valley in the summer of 1881. Andi, her brother, and two friends (one is visiting Andi from the Washington Territory) head off into the wilderness on horseback to camp, fish, and pan for gold for a couple of weeks before one of Andi's friends must head back home again. They pan for gold, run into a rattlesnake, one of them sustains a head injury, they find strangers in a cabin they believed was empty, are part of a gunfight, and are rescued from a frightening situation.

The story is "clean", no cursing, no teen puppy love, yet the book isn't preachy, either. There is a sample from chapter one HERE.

This book is written about a time when we had no telephones or cell phones -- I have to admit that I kept wondering what we did before cell phones and constant communication. I've forgotten what that's like.

The 141 page book is part of Susan K. Marlow's Circle C Adventures series for tweens about the adventures Andrea "Andi" Carter. A free unit study that accompanies the book, Andrea Carter and the Trouble with Treasure is located HERE. "Andi" and her horse, Taffy, blog here.

Read the reviews of this book by my Crewmates HERE.



As part of The Old Schoolhouse Crew of reviewers, I was given a complimentary copy of "Andrea Carter and the Trouble with Treasure" from kregel publications. I am not compensated for this review and am not obligated to provide a positive review.


1 comment:

Andi Carter said...

Hi Penny,
THanks for your nice review of the book. I do feel for you with the autism issue. My sister has a boy with Asperger's (isn't that something like autism?) and I think he is bi-polar as well. She's been stressed out for years. She tried homeschooling but it didn't work (with her girls). I think she even ended up on some depression medication because her whole life involves trips for tests, trips to the psych people,trying new meds, getting calls from the school because of melt-downs, and the list goes on.

So, may the Lord continue to uphold you during your journey with your autistic blessing, whom God gave to you because YOU were the one He knew could do it!
Susan

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter