Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Introducing Whole Foods Cooking, by Rich & Sue Gregg, a TOS Crew Review

I should know more about whole foods cooking. Between my homeschooler and me, we have a long list of food sensitivities, allergies, and intolerances. Cooking with whole foods often means fewer ingredients, simpler recipes, which increases the likelihood that I can make one dish or meal for all of us.

Introducing Whole Foods Cooking for Health and Hospitality by Rich & Sue Gregg, from Sue Gregg Cookbooks, ($17.00) is much more than a cookbook. It is a teaching cookbook accompanied by a CD with PowerPoint photographs and illustrations of information and recipes. The book contains "Recipes & Nutrition Basics", which are an education into how to shift your cooking toward more nutritious, healthful foods.

How does a mom begin to do that for her family?

The Greggs' motto is
"One recipe at a time."

I'm hungry for new recipes that are gluten free, casein free, soy free, pineapple free, sunflower free, peanut and tree nut free, for starters. We rotate eggs in recipes and don't serve my child with allergies egg dishes, although she occasionally eats a baked good with egg as an ingredient. I have sensitivies to some of the foods on that list, plus tuna and the nightshade family.

I'm tired of making separate meals for those of us with allergies. Our home feels like a restaurant most nights, with all of us eating something different. I need more recipes that all of us can enjoy together.

I'm partial to recipes that have already been tested with a gazillion substitutions so that I don't have to experiment and make a flop that I have to throw in the trash. I've done that enough, and it's costly to my pocketbook and my confidence in trying to modify recipes.

In this particular cookbook, the Greggs use a lot of ingredients that we avoid, from sour cream and yogurt to parmesean cheese to pineapple. Mrs. Gregg knew that we have a lot of sensitivities when she sent me the book, and her hope was that she could add a handful of new-to-us recipes for my house.

This is not the "miracle cookbook" for GFCFers. It isn't meant to be that. If you are looking for a lot of GFCF recipes, this is not the cookbook for you, UNLESS you are looking for information about whole foods cooking. The cookbook is a nice resource to have because it contains as much (more, probably) information about whole foods cooking and making recipes healthier as it contains recipes.

"Introducing Whole Foods Cooking," is a teaching cookbook, one that will ease newbies into cooking healthier meals.

The entire family gave a thumbs up to the baked salmon with lemon. ;) It's simple to make and easier to clean up than my standard salmon recipe. We all enjoy a GFCF version of blender batter waffles, too.


A 38 page preview of this cookbook is available HERE.

To read my Crewmates' reviews of this and other Sue Gregg cookbooks, please click HERE.

As part of The Old Schoolhouse Crew of reviewers, I was given complimentary copy of "Introducing Whole Foods Cooking" by Sue Gregg. I received no financial compensation for this review and am not obligated to provide a positive review.

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter