Monday, April 12, 2010

All About Spelling, Beehive Reader 2, a TOS Homeschool Crew Review








Marie Rippel introduces her second hardback book for young readers. "What Am I?" is a collection of 10 short stories.


This book is the same size, shape, weight as the first reader, a nice size for small hands, sturdy. The stories are printed on non-glare paper in a large, easy-to-read font. The illustrations are attractive (I call them adorable, but I think I use that word too much). Like the first reader, "What Am I?" is priced at $19.95. It's brand new - available for purchase here on/after April 1, 2010.

"What Am I?" follows the same sequence and word lists as All About Spelling, Level 2, Steps 1-14. You do not have to be an All About Spelling user to use this book.

There are more words on a page in this second reader (compared to the first one), and my homeschooler sometimes experiences anxiety when she sees more words. To her, that translates into "too difficult". So, we are reading this one together, taking turns. I had to straighten out my own tongue a time or two - the middle vowels of words in the stories changes quite a bit, enough to create a tongue twister of sorts for me. You try, "A slim gal in a silk dress sits on the lump of pink gum." You have to really pay attention (my child needs that).

I took my readers to the homeschool convention and begged Marie Rippel to autograph them for my daughter. She did, to my delight. ;)

Here's a peek inside:
To read my Crewmates' reviews about, "What Am I?", go here.





No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter