Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Time4Learning, a TOS Homeschool Crew Review

Time4Learning is “a convenient, online educational program that combines learning with fun educational teaching games.” My daughter used the a Pre-K section so that I could review it here. The Pre-K section is fun and educational. The activities are developmentally sequenced for the little ones. Here's a screenshot of a partial list of activities:

My older elementary-school-aged homeschooler is developmentally delayed. She needs some foundational experience in some of these areas, and she is enjoying playing the games. I like the fact that for her, there are a mix of really easy sections and some that are a little challenging (money and measuring, for example). Practicing in areas of competence and areas of slight challenge is good for building resilience.

My daughter tends to dislike anything that is too "educational" in her mind. Schoolwork creates a lot of anxiety for her, and if she perceives a worksheet or activity as "too hard", she shuts down with screeching, protesting and resisting. Time4Learning has not only NOT shut her down, she's asked to use it (that is huge at my house).

My daughter has mixed colors, learned about healthy habits, read a book about going to the doctor (which did not mention shots, thank goodness), helped create a story about herself, matched all sorts of things, played a memory game within several topics, and asks to play again. I like the section on feelings. I recognize a few activities that are specifically helpful for children on the autism spectrum (feelings is one of them).

Within each area or topic, there are patterns that repeat. There is a story option, a matching game, a memory game and other familiar activities within each section. A student should recognize the pattern once he has played in one or two areas. I like the variations on a theme, same-but-different value to the pre-school section.

She's getting math and reading practice. I want to spend more time with her on the money and time activities.

The Pre-K section has a *huge* Playground section with activities to interest just about anyone. There are six big categories in the Playground: Action Games; Kid Places; Puzzlers; Activities; Educational Games; Puzzlers. The sections are big, with lots to do. For example, within the category of "Kid Places", Time4Learning gives kids 10 places. One of the choices there is "Arthur". In the Arthur area (from PBS Kids), there are 36 different game choices.

Time4Learning is priced at $19.95 per month for the first child in the family and $14.95 per month for additional children in the family. Sign up and login are easy. My daughter and I have separate login accounts, which means I can print reports and look at what my daughter has done online.

Time4Learning offers a forum for parents where we can interact. The company offers a Getting Started Guide and Hints section to help you use their product. And Time4Learning offers support by e-mail and telephone.

Time4Learning gave us a month's free access to the Lower Level for pre-school and early elementary students as part of TOS Crew. I was not compensated for my review and am not obligated to provide a positive review.

To read my Crewmates' reviews about Time4Learning, go HERE.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this review, I am trying to make my mind up on the curriculum we will use for next year [starting in January as we are in New Zealand] I wasn't sure about Time4learning for my Autistic boys but I think I will give it a go. Do you do other tings as well as this curriculum?
Thanks
Nicky

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter