Friday, October 21, 2011

Why You Should Never Punch A Shuttle Bus

I follow Jon Acuff's blog. He makes me laugh. He makes me think.

Yesterday, he wrote about a discovery that I am making in my own life.

He begins, "Anger makes you blind and sometimes it even makes your hand hurt. I learned that lesson a few nights ago." Read the blog post, here: Why you should never punch a shuttle bus. http://www.jonacuff.com/

We left Michigan in April. We'd been there more than a decade. Michigan is a state where folks generally don't look to move with a child on the autism spectrum. Services and supports aren't that great there. I figured anywhere would be better than Michigan. Boy, was I wrong. Our new state is worse. I feel angry and sad, especially for the many parents here who just don't know better. And there are times when I feel like that angry man punching the shuttle bus.

However...

The distinct lack of services and supports here has forced me to look outside the box for opportunities for my 12-year-old on the autism spectrum in this state I consider so backwards in terms of all things autism.

I am piecing together a new plan and I suspect that it will be better than we ever thought about having in Michigan in terms of opportunities and experiences and learning for my girl. I'm hopeful, anyway, and I am definitely looking for the stretch limo instead of screaming after the shuttle bus.

Thanks, Jon, for the reminder to look outside the box of what is right in front of me.




No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter