Friday, February 17, 2012

Unboxing Goodies (1)

Someone gave me a bookcase. YEAH! For months I have postponed unboxing schoolbooks until I purchased a couple of new bookcases because we threw away a couple of rickety bookcases when we moved last year. I have unboxed several resources and, in the process, have on my mind several more that I need to find. They're good enough to share with you. Most of them, I bought. One (the Kluth book), I was given to review in past years.

One is "You Read to Me; I'll Read to You". The text is highlighted in different colors that allow two readers to share the story. The set-up provides a simple pattern to join for families looking for ways to give children experience joining and creating a "we-go" experience alongside experience with literacy, text, reading. I've even seen these books in the giant-book size for classrooms at a warehouse club.

Another is "I Love You Rituals". If you are an RDI(r) family, a Communicating Partners family, a family who understands the importance of patterns and rituals and joining them, you will appreciate this book.

The introductory section explains what I call "guided participation" (a Barbara Rogoff term, not a Becky Bailey, PhD term).

I had the privilege to hear Dr Bailey present at a parenting education day a few years ago. There are a few videos of her on YouTube if you are interested.

Next up, Ruth Beechick's "The Three R's". Beechick explains how development plays out in terms of the basis for reading, writing, and arithmetic. She talks to me in terms that I can understand (my background is not in education or teaching) and she gives me practical ideas to grow the foundations a child needs in order to be successful throughout his or her educational career.




Another important book is Melinda Boring's story, "Heads Up Helping". Boring is a speech therapist who homeschooled her children, including two with ADHD. One of them sounds so ASD, although none of her children were diagnosed with ASD. Boring tells their story along with lots of ideas and tips for teaching a child who needs to move in order to learn. If you are teaching really active children, you will identify with Melinda Boring and you'll be willing to try some of her tips because she's a mom who has been there, done that.



For parents and educators who want to help children with experience and practice in joining, co-regulation, coordination, check out "50 Ways To Use Your Noodle". Swimming pool noodles.



Yet another must-have is Carol Barnier's "The Big What Now Book of Learning Styles". Barnier is a creative mom who understands the learner with unique needs, especially the one who has attention problems, who needs to move in order to learn, who needs to learn in a fun way. Barnier is the absolute queen of the ditty. I was happy to find this one as I was (finally) unpacking. I need to spend some time with it (and a stack of index cards).

If you ever have the opportunity to hear Carol Barnier in person, GO. She is a treat.

My dream conference day would have Paula Kluth and Carol Barnier together. I keep Kluth's "From Tutor Scripts to Talking Sticks" beside Barnier's "WHAT NOW" book. "From Tutor Scripts to Talking Sticks" walks parents and teachers through how to create all sorts of supports and accommodations for kids who need them, with lots of photos and "how-to" directions, and product lists and where to find the items you need for each project. Fabulous!

And the last book recommendation in this particular installment is a book to spur your creativity in all things games: The Games Bible.

Enjoy. :)

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter