Friday, May 3, 2013

Checking Behind Me...

Teaching perspective taking to a child with autism is always interesting. One place that my princess misunderstands my non-verbal communication is when I am behind the wheel of a car.

No, I am not making one-finger salutes to cars around me. ;)

When I look over my shoulder to check my blind spot before changing lanes while I am driving, my princess always asks a pointed, "WHAT?!" as if I am turning around to check on her.

Sometimes I would ignore her. Sometimes I would try to explain that I was checking behind me. None of that registered with her.

Lately, she's begun demanding, "WHAT?!" as I back out of a driveway or parking spot. And at first, I tried to explain what I was doing. Duh. What was I thinking?

I have begun giving her a role when I am backing out of a driveway or parking space. "Is there anything behind me? Is it clear behind me?" I will ask her. At first, she would flip her head around quickly and answer, "No." or "All clear!"  But I don't want her doing a simple gross motor imitation. I want her thinking. So I wait, frozen like a statue, to give her time to turn around again and look for a car behind me. And she has begun to look around with me to check for things behind me as I back out.

Two little victories, one for me, one for her.

2 comments:

Bright Side of Life said...

Lovely victories! :)

walking said...

I love it. Pamela talks to us the minute we get in the car and we have to tell her we have to focus while backing out of the driving. I never thought to give her a role. Bless you!!!!!!!! What a wonderful idea!

Win-win!

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter