Saturday, February 23, 2013

90 Days Through the Bible



90 Days Through the Bible, A Devotional Journey from Walk Thru the Bible is a 233 page paperback has a list price of $14.99 brought to us by author and Walk Thru the Bible editor Chris Tiegreen.

As the book title suggests, there are 90 devotionals, each 2-3 pages in length, that are arranged in the order of the books of the Old and New Testaments. Each daily devotion offers readers questions for reflection.

At first, I thought the book was a read-through-the-Bible-in-90-days kind of book. It is not. This walk gives some history and background information and general themes and overviews, zoomed-out big picture kinds of steps, sometimes the things I miss in daily Bible study over specific verses.

An excerpt from Day 16 about the book of Ruth reminds me in the midst of a rather chaotic week from the bumpy autism pathway, "The book is a case study in the scriptural truth that God lifts up he humble and draws near to the brokenhearted. Even in our deepest disappointments, he finds ways to make our lives meaningful and bring us into a place of fulfillment. This process can take a frustratingly long time, but when we demonstrate faith and patience, He makes sure it ends well. And it's always worth the wait."

For those of us who struggle to sit down for quiet time, 90 Days Thru the Bible would be easy to keep in the car for time in pick-up lines at school, for waiting during homeschool baseball practice, while a child is taking figure skating lessons. It is also a good choice for keeping beside the bath tub where a lot of us always have time to read two or three pages during a soak.

The information is interesting and captures my attention and I admit that it is easy to want to read ahead and not stick to one devotion per day. It would be a really good audio-resource or book for my tablet, too. I like this one very much and I am seriously considering using this as a homeschool text for of the questions for reflection. The reflection will make good writing and journaling assignments.

Disclaimer: I was sent a free review copy of 90 Days Thru the Bible. The opinions are my own. I was not paid for this review and I am not obligated to provide a positive review.
90 Days Through the Bible  is a book I received a while ago. I am behind on reviews and this one is apologetically very late.Tyndale House Publishers offered it as it was published last fall and I requested it and tried to begin it in the middle of a busy marching band season and the beginning of homeschooling another child (two total, one with autism, one without). The book was set aside in the busyness of our lives at the time. (I stopped requesting review items because my busyness is not fair to the vendors who trust that I can do this job.)

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter