Monday, March 4, 2013

"Brisket"

My mother and my grandmother have taught me to buy chuck roasts on sale and to cook several at once with the intent to freeze leftovers. They grill the roasts on low heat for a period of time and wrap the roasts in aluminum foil and finish the roasts in the slow cooker.
When I buy more than one to prepare and freeze for later, I skip aluminum foil and use parchment paper, instead. To freeze, wrap in more parchment paper and seal in a good quality freezer safe plastic storage bowl.

Last week, I bought one chuck roast on sale, grilled it on low heat for an hour, and am finished  it in the oven in the enamel coated cast iron pot I bought on clearance at a warehouse club. My non-grilling recipe is here. Braising my partially-grilled chuck roast at 325 degrees Fahrenheit for a couple of hours in sea-salted diluted leftover coffee will yield a tasty, fork-tender brisket-like roast. Sometimes I add a tablespoon (ish) of tomato sauce. Gluten-free, dairy-free. No cream of something soup required. Yum!

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter