Sunday, January 31, 2010

Experimentation with Recipes and Cole Slaw Mix

Two recipes for cole slaw inspired me to tweak them into one. Here's one from a Rachel Ray magazine and one from the blog Gluten Free Gobsmacked. One of my children is sensitive to soy, which means I'd have to modify the recipe from Gluten Free Gobsmacked in order to use it.

So, I used the dressing from the Rachel Ray magazine, a packaged cole-slaw mix, and added the chicken and dried cranberries from the Gluten Free Gobsmacked recipe. And I didn't have apple cider vinegar, so I used white balsamic vinegar, instead.

Here's what I came up with:

Dressing
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons white balsamic vinegar
1 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Salt

Salad
1 pkg cole slaw mix
3/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted (optional)
1/2 c. dried cranberries or raisins or both (I used both)
1.5-2 cups cooked chicken - I "cheated" by using canned chicken breast

Pour dressing over salad and mix. Yummy. It's good w/o the almonds, too.

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter