Friday, June 11, 2010

Vanessa Maltin's, "the gloriously gluten-free cookbook"


I received a copy of Vanessa Maltin's new cookbook last night. It's titled, the gloriously gluten-free cookbook, Spicing Up Life with Italian, Asian, and Mexican Recipes.

I sat down after supper and read the forward by Heidi Collins, read Maltin's intro, and read every recipe with my "we're-more-than-gluten-free-and-can-I-actually-use-this-cookbook???" perspective.

Oh, yes I can!!!

For those of you who are simply GLUTEN-FREE, I think you'll adore this cookbook. For those of you who are MORE than gluten free, I think you'll find (like I did) recipes you can use AS IS and some you can use with a substitution here or there. There are a number of recipes that have enough casein-based ingredients that I will not be able to make them at all for my daughter, (I don't have a good GFCFSF substitute for Parmesan cheese, for example) but will be able to make them for myself and friends with a wheat intolerance or Celiac.

I cook around so many allergies that I don't expect a cookbook to cover all of them. Gluten-free recipes are easier to adapt, because the gluten-free part of the recipe has already been adapted for me, allowing me to concentrate on substitutions for other ingredients on our lists at home. This cookbook is a good starting point for me.

I'm not a fan of Mexican food. I didn't grow up tasting those spices and I've never grown a taste for them. As an adult, I learned that I like Italian and Asian food, and gave up making those recipes when my daughter was diagnosed with a number of food allergies that include wheat/gluten, milk/casein, and soy.

I am delighted to see several recipes in the Asian section that do not use soy sauce!!! There are a few Asian recipes that use just a small amount of soy sauce - I may be able to recreate them with a mock soy sauce now that I have a solid "base" recipe.

My daughter (the one w/ the allergies) peeped over my shoulder a couple of times as I was reading recipes and said she would try this one or that one if I'd make it. Now that I've discovered a soy-free, nut-free mozzarella cheese substitute, I want to try some of the Italian recipes in the gloriously gluten-free cookbook. Who knows, maybe I'll even try a Mexican recipe, too.

The entire chapter, "Italian GLUTEN-FREE Cooking", is HERE.

The cover photo is the only photo of a completed recipe in the book. (I like photos in cookbooks, and I'm guessing omitting photos allowed the publishers to include more great recipes while keeping the price down.)

The Gloriously Gluten-Free Cookbook: Spicing Up Life with Italian, Asian, and Mexican Recipes
ISBN: 978-0-470-44088-9
Paperback
256 pages
April 2010
US $19.95

Disclosure: Wiley Publishing sent me a review copy of the gloriously gluten-free cookbook. I am not financially compensated for reviews and am not obligated to provide a positive review.

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter