Saturday, November 20, 2010

You, Your Child, and "Special" Education, A Guide to Dealing With the System

Brookes Publishing gives us a new book about dealing with the system of special education: You, Your Child, and "Special" Education by Barbara Coyne Cutler with Sue Pratt.

A 294 page paperback, list priced at $25.95, You, Your Child, and "Special" Education is a revised edition of a previously published book.

I wish I'd had this when my homeschooler was in school. Authors Cutler and Pratt explain the child's rights, the parents' rights, some legal direction in keeping up with IDEA, info on writing an effective IEP, and offer guidance, direction, and advice on navigating the sometimes difficult emotional piece. Cutler and Pratt deal with relationships with teachers and school staff, too.

Primarily focused on public schoolers and special education, for homeschoolers, I found this on
page 186 , "A home schooled child is also entitled to related services."

If you are new to special education, I think you'll appreciate this book. Parents already on the pathway may find it useful, too.

Brookes Publishing sent me a review copy of You, Your Child, and "Special" Education, A Guide to Dealing with the System to review here on my blog. I am not paid for this review and am not obligated to provide a positive review.

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter