Thursday, July 21, 2011

Gluten-Free On A Shoestring

Gluten-Free on a Shoestring by Nicole Hunn arrived in my mailbox recently, and the popovers on the cover were too inviting to leave there on the cover.

Eldest agreed. We set out the eggs to bring to room temperature and once they were ready, we began. She did most of the work.

Because of the recent move, I cannot always remember exactly where I put things when I unpacked them. I do not have a popover pan and I could not find my large 12-muffin muffin tin. So, we improvised with minis.

I'd not made popovers before; they turned out quite tasty, even with substitutions, and Li'l Bit ate several of them.

We were limited in what we could make because I have not found all of my baking supplies since our move. I had to go digging in boxes to look for the xanthan gum. I was thrilled to find it and then we had all the ingredients for popovers. (I have yet to find the vanilla flavoring.)

And we found the large muffin tin when we were finished.

Gluten-Free on a Shoestring is a 257-page paperback that gives readers 125 gluten-free "Easy Recipes for Eating Well on the Cheap". There is a small photo section in the center of the book. Amazon has it priced under $11 at the moment. (a bargain!)


I wanted to make at minimum a couple more recipes before I post the review, and I seem to never have all of the ingredients I need or everything that sounds good has a milk ingredient that I cannot use (sour cream, cream cheese) or substitute (we have a soy issue, too). So, no, it's not allergen free, although the majority of the recipes are adaptable.


Another wrinkle: Lately, temps have been too hot to bake. I don't want to turn on the oven if I don't have to.


I want to make the toaster pastry recipe. Graham crackers. The chocolate wafer cookie. Chocolate chip brownies. Pizza crusts. I wonder if I use coconut kefir or yogurt in place of the half-cup of sour cream, would the Devil's Food Cake turn out right in my new oreo cookie cake pan that I found on clearance? I have quite a list of recipes to try, and at this point, they're not going to happen until the school-building-school kids go back to school in August. Then, my homeschooler and I will begin baking together in a bigger way again.


This is not just a baking cookbook. Hunn gives us veggies and main dishes in addition to breads and desserts. She gives readers quite a lot of "how-to" as she begins the book, which is informative to newbies and oldies alike.


I've enjoyed reading the cookbook. I'm ready to get my act together and cook from it in a big way.




De Capo Press sent me a review copy of Gluten-Free on a Shoestring. I was not paid for this review. I do not benefit should you choose to purchase this book. I am not obligated to provide a positive review.

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter