Sunday, October 12, 2008

Math Dice

There is a new store at the mall that sells games, games and more games. The sales clerk told me it's a seasonal store and they'll be open through the new year. I bought a set of MATH DICE for around five dollars. There are 3 six-sided dice with dots and 2 twelve-sided dice with numerals 1-12 on the sides.

The math dice come with a little drawstring bag, and I put them in my purse before a doctor's visit, and my daughter and I played with them while we were waiting for the doctor to arrive.

We made up our own games, actually, aimed at our having fun together and not focused on having her add, subtract, multiply or divide. In one game, I had the dice w/ the dots and she had the dice with numerals and we rolled them to see which one rolled a higher number. I did all the addition for us both with no demands on her to perform. In another game, we added the sum of all five dice.

I think I'll keep the math dice in my purse for those times when we're waiting with not much else to do, and I thought I'd pass along the idea. I need some other ideas for those times, too--what do you use? Please post--I'd love to hear from you!

4 comments:

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

my mom was a math teacher and i have a bag of all sorts of dice. many multi sided...dots, numbers, etc.. DO tell all the games you do! i am so not creative. need ideas

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

ps: what store?

Penny said...

I posted about it on the new EDM yahoo group--I'll have to go look up the name. I cant remember it right now!

The math dice web site looks like it has some games...and I'll write about some that we played. We used them today at the docs--one of mine is going to need an MRI this week.

Prince Andrew and the Queen Mum said...

http://growing-fruit.blogspot.com/2008/10/games-with-dice-and-other-math.html

thanks for the ideas generation... here is what we did...

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter