Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Food for Kids

The cover of this cookbook draws me in. It looks fun to me. And as I open the cookbook, I quickly relate to the author. Sheri L. Sanderson is the mother of a child with celiac disease, and and Woodbine House bring us Incredible Edible Gluten-Free Food for Kids, 150 Family Tested Recipes. Finding foods that our kids will eat and that are gluten free (and more) can be a challenge, and Sanderson knows that.


The first four chapters are educational and informative:
Chapter 1: A Guide To Gluten-Free Beginnings
Chapter 2: Understanding Celiac Disease
Chapter 3: Special Help for Your Child
Chapter4: Before You Start

I often say that being just gluten-free would be sooooooooooooooooooooo easy. Adding dairy, soy, nuts, eggs, and other foods to the "free" list makes meal prep more complicated, and Gluten-Free Food for Kids is a gluten-free cookbook. If you're anything else free, you'll need to know how to make your own substitutions or skip certain recipes. (What is a substitution for powdered dry milk or buttermilk powder, anyway?) Bottom line: This book is a solid option if someone in your family is ONLY gluten-free. If you have other frees on your avoid list, I'd recommend you borrow this one from the library to see if it is something you will use enough to buy.

The Poultry chapter is my favorite and that's the one I'll be cooking from first. Chicken with Dijon Sauce and Deep Fried Chicken Nuggets are calling my name. There are recipes for homemade pizza sauce and mini pizzas that I'd like to try on a biscuit recipe ('cept I need a substitute for the buttermilk powder in the buttermilk buscuit recipe or perhaps I will use biscuits from a gf baking mix).

There are quite a few recipes for dishes that I already make and there are a large number I won't make because I know we won't eat them (stuffed peppers, for example).

The recipe list gives readers a lot of variety, including appetizers and snacks, breads, breakfast, lunch, and dinner ideas, salads and veggies, soups and stews and sweets. The Party and Entertaining chapter is important - seems we all struggle with party ideas. The Lego cake idea is genius. The last chapter contains craft ideas. I wish I'd had this when my girl was in preschool.

The appendix and resource list at the back are a real wealth of information. There are cooking tips galore with a troubleshooting guide that I wish I'd had when I began over 1o years ago.

Sheri L. Sanderson's web site is HERE.



Woodbine House sent me a review copy of Gluten-Free Food For Kids. I was not paid for this review and am not obligated to provide a positive review.

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter