Thursday, June 11, 2009

Skating clips -- TWO weeks worth of them!

Okay, I admit it. I'm BEHIND posting clips from figure skating lessons. TWO WEEKS behind. Poor excuse for a mother, I am, for being so behind on clips from skating lessons!

I'm making up for it today -- and don't worry, all the clips are short!

My princess is amazing. She has ups and downs of allergies and illness that play with her self-regulation, and the past couple of weeks have been really challenging because she's experiencing some allergies (or maybe viral issues -- we are never really sure). She struggles during these periods with organization and attention and regulation, yet she is always ready to get on the ice and attempt whatever Coach introduces to her, even when the skills are new and require a bit of work. She perserveres on the ice. I love that! :)

I wish you could see my girl on the ice in person! She smiles the whole time that she is on the ice. This is a child who was, as a toddler, described as having no affect. She enjoys being on the ice very much.

I am amazed by the sheer work involved in learning to skate on ice. The thin blade requires balance, which uses the vestibular system. The skater uses a lot of proprioception (knowing where her body is in space). The arena is freezing, which provides some input to the tactile system as well. Foot-eye coordination is necessary. Imagry combined w/ proprioception comes into play, as the skater moves a leg and foot without being able to look at them. The motor planning practice is challenging.

Helps immensely to have the WORLD'S *BEST* and most patient skating coach! :)

This is from LAST week's (June 2nd) lesson:

Learning backwards swizzles (Backwards swizzles are not easy! Oh, the motor planning! ):

#####

Here's a clip from the moment my princess stepped on the ice this week, two days ago. Coach was drawing on the ice with a magic marker, preparing for lessons.

The motor planning involved in learning new skills is INCREDIBLE, and my girl gets a workout:

This session was challenging for my princess. She sings, can't seem to shut off the songs, and the songs began to interfere with the lesson. The songs, a form of stimming, come with the allergies and illness. And yet, she was able to perservere.

Watch:

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter