Wednesday, February 3, 2010

The Dyslexia Checklist - a Jossey-Bass Teacher Review

Click on the photo of the book to take you to a page where you may peek inside it. There are three excerpts and the table of contents available for you, there.


The Dyslexia Checklist: A Practical Reference for Parents and Teachers
Sandra F. Rief, M.A., Judith Stern
ISBN: 978-0-470-42981-5
Paperback
336 pages
January 2010

US $15.95

Other Available Formats: E-Book



I learned something about myself. I like "checklist" books like this one. "The Dyslexia Checklist" is the fourth title in the Jossey-Bass Checklist Series, the second that I have read/reviewed. The two that I've seen are absolutely packed with information and tips, and are really efficient for me as I research and learn more about how my daughter learns, about how to improve the way I teach her.

My child has not been diagnosed with dyslexia. As I scan Section 1.3, "Signs and Symptoms of Dyslexia", beginning on page 11 of this book, I recognize many items on these lists. And I know that this book is not only for parents and teachers of students who have a diagnosis of dyslexia.

(I notice that Section 1.8 "Research Based Intervention Programs for Struggling Readers" has a section of programs based on the Orton-Gillingham Method which has me thinking about the spelling program we reviewed that is based on the Orton-Gillingham Method.)

Chapter 2, "Strategies for Helping With Reading, Language and Writing", offers readers a develomental framework of sorts -- which assists parents and teachers in working with a student at a developmentally appropriate starting point.

Chapter 3, "Checklists for Parents" includes important advocacy information (which, in my mind, connects with several sections in Chapter 5 that have to do with RTI, special ed, and 504 plans), in addition to strategies to use at home. The authors discuss the sensitive issue of how to talk to your child about dyslexia, here, as well.

Chapter 4, "Checklists for Teachers," is for homeschool teachers aka parents as well as school-building teachers, and contains lists of information about accommodations, supports, tools, and compensations.

Chapter 5, "Other Important Checklists for Parents and Teachers" addresses high school, college, RTI, special ed and IEPs, 504 plans, and conculdes with lists of organizations and resources.

I've researched and studied autism-related learning strategies for nearly nine years. This book offers many strategies that I've read about or been taught to use, some that I've forgotten along the way as my daughter has seemed to not need a particular support or strategy. As I study the checklists, I realize that we may need to revisit some of the ideas, or try some of the suggestions that are new to me, and having lists of ideas in one place is really efficient for me.

Add this one to the list of books that you'll want to read with a highlighter or pen in one hand, and it's probably one you'll want to buy in bulk, so that you can share it with those who interact with your child.


Jossey-Bass, an Imprint of Wiley, sent me this book (at no charge) to review on my blog. I received no compensation for the review.

1 comment:

angie said...

Its great to see books that try to help parents and teachers deal with the difficulties presented by Dyslexia and other learning disabilities. I recently started working for a company that sells a Orton Gillingham based program for reading and am convinced of its ability to help children with dyslexia learn to read. The program is offered for parents and homeschoolers at: http://www.readinghorizonsathome.com/

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter