Thursday, September 23, 2010

Udi's Gluten Free Muffins (review)

Udi's Gluten Free Foods sent me three packages of muffins to tell you about. I tried the blueberry muffins in July when we traveled across the state to pick up a child from camp. I needed breakfast food for my girl and me at a hotel that served no gluten free breakfast items. I purchased them from the refrigerator section of a locally owned grocery store - they're expensive for just four muffins, and are quite tasty. We liked the blueberry ones!

The rep from Udi's sent me a four-pack of three flavors. My girl wanted to try the double chocolate first. OH MY. They are *wonderful*! Moist and chocolately, they don't have a hint of that awful gluten-free feel in my mouth. They're just the right kind of dense for a chocolate muffin, something between brownie and cake.

I made a discovery - I like them better having not been frozen or refrigerated. The blueberry muffins I purchased in July were really good - good enough to buy again (for a special occasion - they're pricier than I want to buy for every day), lighter than the chocolate, with the right amount of blueberries. (Too many blueberries and my kids won't eat them.) The never-refrigerated muffins were even better than the ones I purchasd that had been refrigerated. Again, I don't think the average person would be able to tell these are gluten-free.

The lemon struesel flavor was the one we liked the least. There is a denseness and texture that I associate with "bad" gluten-free, and my daughter spit out the tiny bite I gave her, and I could not eat a whole muffin (I could eat all four of the chocolate muffins in one sitting). My daughter does not care for citrus, and the lemon flavoring was too strong for her. (That's my interpretation of what she said; she spit it out while telling me it tasted like orange juice.) They're not totally horrible - but when you've had really good gluten-free baked goods, you don't want to eat anything less than terrific.

Little Bit requested a blueberry muffin to eat on the way to our homeschool co-op class. The muffins are very convenient for snacks and breakfast.



The muffins are also dairy free, soy free, and nut free. I'll definitely buy the double chocolate and the blueberry muffins again. You can order them from Udi's online for $6 a four-pack.

A representative from Udi's contacted me through my blog and offered to send me a selection of muffins to review at no charge to me. I was not paid for this review and am not obligated to provide a positive review.

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter