Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Cavity filled

My younger princess had to have a cavity filled this morning. Our family dentist has no autism training, yet she is a natural with all of my children, including my younger princess w/ ASD.

She allows my daughter the response time she needs. Our dentist carefully and gently explains each step, previewing for my princess, and Dr. A. watches her to make sure she understands each step. Dr. A leads the procedure with a trained assistant, and there are no unnecessary helpers in the treatment room.

Slow down, shut up and wait, eliminate unnecessary distractions and chaos (including people) in the treatment room, allow time for understanding, focus on the task at hand. What a novel idea!

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter