Saturday, March 27, 2010

Joyce DeMio: Special Diets, How to Get Started

I missed Mrs. DeMio's presentation on diet. Word on the autism mom grapevine is that she's an amazing presenter and she is full of tips, tricks and information about the GFCF diet. I talked to her for a few minutes this morning (before my family were involved in an auto accident and I headed home), and before lunch (long before the accident) I took a couple of photos (and uploaded them to prep for her presentation) of a new cheese subsitute that Mrs. DeMio had as part of a display of "safe" foods for the GFCF diet.

During our brief conversation, she recommended the "Babycakes" cookbook to me, the Namaste flour blend, and told me to add 1/4 tsp of xanthan gum to my GF flour mix and I can substitute it cup-for-cup for wheat flour in pretty much any recipe.

She gave me a great tip for making homemade GFCFSF sugar cookies. Sugar cookie dough is such a booger to work with. My cookies always fall apart while I'm lifting them from the counter or cutting board to the pan. Mrs. DeMio told me to roll the dough out ON the baking sheet, cut the sugar cookies out with a cookie cutter, and lift the excess dough from the cookie sheet, and bake. Why didn't I think of that?


Here's a photo of Mrs DeMio's display table

Maybe someone from the conference will post a few notes or hints from her presentation and be a guest blogger for me.

No comments:

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter