Monday, March 15, 2010

"Siblings, You're Stuck with Each Other, so Stick Together" book review

Siblings, You're Stuck with Each Other, So Stick Together, by James J. Crist, Ph.D., and Elizabeth Verdick is a book for (obviously) siblings.

Siblings is handbook sized (it would easily fit in my purse), big enough to hold a lot of information, but not so much that it's overwhelming or a turn off to children.

The authors use everyday language and talk to and with children in a way that is engaging and interesting. There are fun illustrations that offer visuals along with the topics.

My older children read the book - both liked it very much. Sometimes, Mom (I) think they think some of their challenges are related to autism, when, in fact, the challenges are common in all families where there are at least two children. This book helps them to begin to recognize that.

There's a section on having a sibling with special needs, and my son tells me that the authors understand what that's like and he says that section is helpful.

I like the book - the authors are real, authentic, not preachy, and I am able to use it to start some conversations at my house about all things siblings.

Free Spirit Publishing sent me a copy of the book at no charge so that I could review it here on my blog.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Thanks so much for your supportive and kind words about our book, and a special thank you for sharing the book with your kids. At Free Spirit, our hope is that real people will find our books—and find them helpful. Please let me know if I can send any other books your way!

All the best,
-Jenni

Jenni Bowring
Free Spirit Publishing
bowring@freespirit.com

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter