Monday, April 27, 2009

Priorities: The Whac-A-Mole Theory

"Whac-a-Mole" might just be the best psychological term I've ever heard in terms of how families deal with the stuff life throws at them.

In *my* opinion, "Whac-A-Mole" is a *better* phrase/cliche than "peeling the layers of an onion".

Twice in the same weekend (Cincinnati homeschool convention weekend), I heard two women use the term "Whac-A-Mole" in describing family situations, once from a mom of six children with autism and other issues in the mix, and once from convention presenter Melinda Boring (from http://www.headsupnow.com/) in her session with her husband Scott, about the distractible adult.

And a conversation with our RDI(r) Program Certified Consultant last week brought it to my mind again, as we updated our consultant on the family, describing how different challenges are presenting in our lives and comparing those challenges to events in the past.

Seems like we are not the only family to get a handle on one challenge only to have another completely different but equally pressing challenge pop up. Math grows more difficult, and frustrations soar. Friends can be hurtful without meaning to. Helping one child over a hurdle may make another child feel left out. Now, I have a sore throat and painful cough. As my friend Julie says, "It's always something!"

"Whac-a-mole" -- what a great description!

3 comments:

Anne said...

That's a great description! Heck, sometimes that's just a day in our house. I relish the days that I think I've got this mommy gig handled, because I have to remember them on the days that Ciaran (ASD) has multiple meltdowns and pees on the floor and I can't get Reagan (AS) to concentrate on anything longer than two seconds, and the rest of my kids are just being regular NT kids with their own sets of issues. By the end of the day I'm a puddle on the floor!

It's nice to know, at the very least, I'm not alone.

walking said...

My consultant was the one who got me using the whac-a-mole analogy and I plan on giving an update on our efforts to get our mole population under control later in the week . . . :-)

7kids said...

Penny you made my night.

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter