Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Wish I'd stayed...

I attended part of a presentation by Dr Guffanti at the Midwest Homeschool Convention. His sessions on ADHD and kinesthetic learners were at the very end of the convention, and my attention span was zapped at that point.

Here are the few notes I took -- they're interesting enough to make me want to know more. I thought I'd share them with you in case you want a new trail to follow.

Yes, he mentions autism.

All of his PowerPoint slides contained page references to his book, and as I slipped out of the session, I planned to buy his book to read when my mind had rested from two-and-a-half days of convention sessions. Unfortunately, the book was sold out in his vendor area.

I found part of the presentation online here if you'd like to listen: http://www.drdyslexic.com/ADHD_Part1.mp3

Penny

-----------------

MY NOTES

He described kinesthetics as those who

1) make a big mess, leave things everywhere (laundry, keys for example)

2) learn big picture but ignore details

3) feel words often fail to describe

4) repeat a behavior for the feel of it

He says VIDEO GAMES provide PSEUDO MOTION. We need MOTION to LEARN and video games are not real motion.

He says about 5% of adhd kids are food allergic

Doctors can cure diseases, but for disorders, they suppress symptoms. Parents want a cure. A disorder is a group of symptoms that inconvenience someone's lifestyle.

MEDICINE IS BLIND TO THE KINESTHETIC LEARNING STYLE. You cannot diagnose what you cannot see.

and he said the ONLY two medicines that DO NOT destroy a boy's motivation center in the brain are Strattera and Welbutrin.

I wish he'd have presented these topics earlier in the weekend -- I was just too spent to stay, and I left. Now that I'm reading my notes, I wish I'd have stayed!

_____________
Resources

Presentations are available for purchase here: http://rhino-technologies.com/ (search for the speaker's name) or here: http://www.rhino-technologies.com/products/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=guffanti

I found the book online (and a survey to screen whether your child has ADHD) at this web site: http://www.drdyslexic.com/

1 comment:

Anne said...

Sounds like my Aspie. He's the fantasy boy sub-type of Asperger's and could live in video games.

Thanks for sharing this.

OnePlusYou Quizzes and Widgets

Created by OnePlusYou -

Stat Counter